Liquid Nails® Clear
Liquid Nails Clear eliminates unsightly mess caused by conventional brown construction adhesives because it dries clear and blends with the surrounding surface. It is ideal where a fine finish is important.
Selleys Liquid Nails Clear is suitable for bonding to glass, fibreglass, metals, most plastics*, timber, particleboard, MDF, tiles & ceramics, concrete, painted and masonry substrates.
Suitable for bonding mouldings & trims, skirting boards & architraves, general fabrication and creating mosaics.
Pre-test plastics to determine compatibility.
Product Code: 9300697115706
- Size & Pack Type: 80g tube
- Color: Clear
Product Code: 9300697115645
- Size & Pack Type: 250g cartridge
- Color: Clear
- High performance solvent based adhesive. Note: When use on glass to glass, thin film application is recommended for better clarity.
- Good paintability – Paintable with water based paints. Oil based paints require undercoating with water based paints first.
- Excellent resistance to water and weather makes it suitable for interior and exterior applications.
- Due to solvent content Liquid Nails Clear should not be used in enclosed space or without ventilation
- Solvents may affect some plastics
- Will not bond polyolefin plastics such as polyethylene and polypropylene
- May damage some polycarbonate, avoid smears and spills
- Cannot be used on polystyrene foam
- May not adhere to wet absorbent surfaces or to some old wet metals
- In very cold weather cartridge must be conditioned to room temperature before use
- Not recommended for permanent water immersion or water containment structures
- Must be first painted with water based paint prior to painting with oil based paints
- Will not accept common wood stains. (If staining is required, it is recommended to stain timber before bonding).
- Full cure in 2 weeks
- Not recommended for mirrors
- Bonds weaken at high temperatures. Avoid bonding metals or heavy materials which will be heated by direct sun. (Consult Selleys about particular applications subject to heating).
- Ensure that surfaces are free from dust, loose particles and dry. Cut cartridge tip, pierce membrane inside base of nub, fit nozzle and cut end to desired opening and fit cartridge into cartridge gun. In very cold weather, cartridge may need to be conditioned to room temperature for easier gunning.
- Direct a bead along the length of the joist, stud or batten. On broad flat surfaces apply beads every 40cm. (“zig-zag” beads are more appropriate on surfaces of moderate width)
- Fix with sufficient nails, screws or clamping to hold load and achieve contact over the total bond area. Wet bonds are re-positionable for up to 20 mins after fitting
- Allow adhesives to set (at least 24 – 48 hours) before removing any temporary fasteners or clamping. (refer to Bond strength Time)
- For faster grab, apply to one surface only, press together and pull apart. Allow surfaces to dry 2-3 minutes before firmly
Technical Details and Performance
Time for strong bond depends on nature and condition of application. A minimum of 24 to 48 hours is needed for sufficient strength to develop. The bond will continue to strengthen over time. Full cure up to 14 days.
Curing is achieved by evaporation of solvent. Time to achieve full strength is increased: at constant low temperatures; when thick applications (joints) are used; wide areas are bonded; when bonded surfaces are impervious (e.g. metals and glass).
Indicative information only, not to be used for setting specifications.
Clear soft adhesive
5000 – 9000P TE/2 @ 25oC
Skin Time / Tack Free Time
5 min. @ 25oC
100g/min. @ 25oC (at 628kPa pressure through 3mm orifice)
By evaporation of solvent
Water Based Paints
Good, after first undercoating with a water based paint
Uncured adhesive- flammable Cured adhesive – will burn if ignited
15 metres of a 5mm diameter bead
Clean off wet adhesive with mineral turps or white spirit. Dry adhesive can be removed by scraping or sanding.
Ideal for professionals using caulking guns on a regular basis.