Selleys Kwik Grip Gel (vertical)
A solvent-based, heat resistant, flexible contact adhesive suitable for bonding both absorbent and non-absorbent surfaces. It forms an instant bond on contact of two surfaces. The gel form allows application without dripping or ‘stringing’. Great for vertical surfaces.
- Heat resistance up to 130°C
- No clamping required
- Suitable for interior and exterior jobs
- Cured adhesive is resistant to dilute acids and alkalis
- Immediate set on contact. Maximum strength after 24 hours
- Gel Grip has a thicker consistency than Kwik Grip and so is ideal for vertical applications as it won’t run
- Gel form prevents running or stringing
- Easy to spread by brush and ideal for use on vertical surfaces
- 40g Tube
- 400g, 800g, 3.2kg Can
- Yellowish to beige coloured opaque soft gel with strong solvent odour.
- Thrifty Link
- Mitre 10
- Home Hardware
- Clark Rubber
- Selected Auto Retailers
- Selected Paint Specialists
Contact the store to confirm stock availability, as some stores may have a limited range.
Where can this product be used?
- Vertical surfaces where dripping and running is a concern
- Bonding veneers of timber and laminated plastics, eg. Laminex and Formica to bench or table tops
- Areas where clamping or pressing facilities are either not available or difficult to use
- Patching vinyl Flooring
- Replacing a vinyl tile
- Cork tiling
- Laying a vinyl floor
- Fixing laminate to tables, benchtops etc
- Repairing canvas tents and outdoor equipment
- Bonding metal or laminate sheeting
- Replacing trim, rubbers and weather seals in cars
- Adhering flexible or other material to Aluminium
- Joining, repairing holes in tents, car covers etc
- Some plastics such as vinyl sheeting and polystyrene are attacked by Gel Grip. Test in an inconspicuous area prior to application. Can cause discolouration and bubbling when used for vinyl flooring materials, seek advice of flooring material manufacturer before using Gel Grip. We recommend Kwik Grip Advanced for these applications
- Contains highly flammable solvent and care should be taken to ensure all fire precautions are observed.
- Cannot be used for application in temperatures below 10oC.
- Suitable for porous materials but not for rough, ill-fitting surfaces. (Consider the suitability of alternative products such as Liquid Nails for rough ill-fitting surfaces).
What materials is this product suitable for?
- Laminated plastics (laminex, formica)
- Compressed board
How to use this product
- Ensure that surfaces to be bonded are clean, dry and free from grease or paint.
- Cut laminated plastic sheet slightly oversize all round.
- Completely cover both surfaces with adhesive and keep apart until touch dry – no more than 40 minutes.
- Position the items carefully, still keeping surfaces apart with dowels or heavy craft paper and working from one edge press surfaces firmly together.
- Secure bond by running a roller over the bonded surfaces or else by hammering the surface from the centre outwards using a padded block.
- For bonding other materials, apply as for laminated plastics above. When small surface areas are to be joined a wet bond may be used. Simply apply Gel Grip to one surface then bring the surfaces together and clamp until dry.
- Care should be taken to test plastics prior to use as solvents present will attack some grades such as polystyrene and sheet vinyl. Use Kwik Grip Advanced for these applications.
- Keep container sealed when not in use.
- Coverage – up to 5 square metres/litre (bonded area 2.5 square metres/litre) depending on porosity of surfaces and thickness of applications
- For cleaning surfaces prior to application of adhesive, if the surface is porous, we would recommend using SELLEYS Liquid Sugar Soap. If the surface is non-porous eg glass or metal, firstly clean the surface with mineral turpentine and then again with methylated spirits. If there is old, difficult to remove residue such as old paint, we recommend using paint stripper such as SELLEYS Kwik Strip Smart. Ensure the surface is dry before applying the product.
- Keep a canister of SELLEYS Sugar Soap Wipes nearby for a quick and effective cleanup.
- While wet, adhesive can be removed using xylene. Cured adhesive is very difficult to remove. Tools and other equipment on which Gel Grip has dried may be cleaned by soaking in Toluol or lacquer thinner. Excess adhesive on the face of the jointed materials may also be removed with solvent, but care should be taken that the materials themselves are not damaged by the solvent.
- Ensure thorough ventilation when using.
- Avoid using in a confined space for prolonged periods. Use Kwik Grip Advanced as a low fume alternative.
- Avoid skin contact as solvents in Gel Grip have a degreasing effect and may result in irritation.
- If in eyes flush with plenty of water for 15 minutes. Seek medical advice.
- If poisoning occurs, contact a doctor or Poisons Information Centre. Phone Australia 131 126 or New Zealand 0800 764 766. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Give a glass of water.
- Highly flammable. Do not use in the same area as flame, fire or spark producing apparatus or machinery.
- This product should NOT be accessible to juveniles, because of its solvent content.
- For further information refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), which can be found at this site.
Storage and re-use
- Clean Up While wet, adhesive can be removed using mineral turps. Cured adhesive is very difficult to remove. Tools and other equipment on which Gel Grip has dried may be cleaned by soaking in Toluol or lacquer thinner. Excess adhesive on the face of the jointed materials may also be removed with solvent, but care should be taken that the materials themselves are not damaged by the solvent.
- Store in a cool area away from ignition sources and out of direct sunlight.
SELLEYS LIQUID NAILS Clear eliminates unsightly mess caused by conventional brown construction adhesives. It dries clear and blends with the surrounding surface, making it ideal where a fine...
A heat resistant, solvent-based, flexible contact adhesive suitable for bonding both absorbent and non-absorbent surfaces. It forms an instant bond on contact of two surfaces.